Scientist I Medicinal Chemistry
Location: San Francisco Bay Area (San Carlos, CA)
Engine Biosciences is pioneering network biomedicine – combining high-throughput, massively parallel biological experimentation with high-throughput computation to empower better drug development and medicine and address targets inaccessible by conventional approaches. We are looking for a medicinal chemist to reduce to practice these computational and experimental efforts, designing and synthesizing drug candidate molecules. As a member of our Engine team you will join with a group of hard-charging, creative scientists in an integrated approach to drug discovery and to new medicines.
As a key member of the Chemistry team, you will have significant impact on Engine’s success by:
- Synthesizing novel, target-focused small molecule compounds
- Analyzing project data, and working within the Team in the design of compounds to progress them to optimized lead and preclinical candidate stage
- Being a partner in the scientific success of other scientists in the full Engine Team, and creating an environment where we channel everyone’s scientific curiosity to build our portfolio
- Supporting all Chemistry activities, contributing to internal Engine meetings, and to written reports
- Contributing to the external face of Engine Biosciences at professional meetings and through publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Contributing to our intellectual property portfolio
Education, Experience, and Attributes
- Ph.D. degree in chemistry with through understanding of organic and synthetic chemistry methods and associated analytical and purification techniques.
- Postdoctoral experience; 1-2 years of industrial experience a plus
- A strong track record of scientific productivity as exemplified by publications, patents, and meeting abstracts
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work in a Team and apply these to others’ research efforts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong sense of organization and precise record-keeping
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment, and the ability to work with, and contribute to, cross-functional teams.
- Experience in oncology medicinal chemistry and systems biology would be a plus
- Experience in computational chemistry would be a plus