Engine Biosciences is a venture-backed company discovering and developing impactful precision medicines by deciphering complex biology with integrated computation and experimentation, with particular depth in oncology gained over several years of substantial investment and focus. Having pinpointed many promising drug targets and predictive biomarkers for patients most likely to benefit, Engine is advancing its pipeline of oncology therapeutics towards the clinic internally and with collaborators, and in other disease areas through partnerships. Engine’s team is motivated by opportunities to address significant unmet needs with more selective and effective precision medicines. For more information, please visit www.enginebio.com
We are a fast-paced, innovative company. We are excited to have passionate and talented staff join our team in Redwood City. We offer excellent career growth opportunities, and a chance to work closely with experienced entrepreneurs and leading scientists from industry and top international institutions.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced senior scientist to lead our in vivo pharmacology oncology efforts. You will be responsible for designing, executing, and analyzing in vivo studies to evaluate the efficacy and mechanism of action of novel oncology therapeutics. You will also collaborate with cross-functional teams to support the advancement of drug candidates from discovery to clinical development. You will manage collaborations with CROs, academic and/or pharmaceutical collaborators.
Responsibilities and Requirements
- Establish and execute pivotal in vivo studies to support Go / No-Go decisions to test small molecule drug candidates
- Design key oncology studies including efficacy, target engagement, pharmacodynamic and mechanism of action studies
- Design and perform in vivo experiments using various tumor models, including cell line and patient-derived xenografts, syngeneic models, and/or orthotopic models
- Design drug combination studies
- Support the selection of patient selection and PD biomarker assays utilizing diagnostic development knowledge
- Select relevant models to enable translational studies including PDX models
- Identify, evaluate and work with CROs to execute studies. Lead communications with CRO
- Perform experimental design, protocol writing, resource and budget planning, study execution, and data analysis. Define key milestones and timelines along with project management staff
- Provide leadership as in vivo biology representative in cross functional teams
- Work with bioinformatics groups to ensure model selection is supported by genetic profiling of cell lines
- Design target validation studies using both genetic and pharmacological approaches
- Support DMPK study design and interpretation
- Involvement in collaborations with external partners
- Contribute to scientific strategy and planning as necessary
- Analyze and interpret in vivo data using appropriate statistical methods and software.
- Prepare and present study reports, summaries, and slides for internal and external meetings.
- Stay updated on the latest scientific literature and developments in the field of oncology.
- Supervise and mentor junior staff
- Work collaboratively with the Engine teams in Singapore and US. This work involves communication with scientists at other global locations, so some flexibility in working hours will be required.
- PhD in pharmacology, oncology, or related discipline with at least 5 years of relevant work experience in industry in in vivo biology / pharmacology / cell biology. In depth understanding of oncology
- Expertise in in vivo pharmacology oncology, including animal handling, dosing, tumor implantation, blood collection, tissue harvesting, and necropsy
- Proven ability to design in vivo efficacy and PD studies and ensure efficient implementation at CROs
- Ability to execute on complex, multiple projects within strict timelines. Good time management skills
- Excellence and rigor in data interpretation skills, demonstrated by a successful track record in overseeing projects
- Cross-functional team experience, including experience working with global teams
- Preferred experience in developing successful collaborations and relationships with academic and/or industrial partners and key advisors
- Strong judgment and decision-making skills in proposing critical go/no-go decisions for projects
- Knowledge of personalized medicine and familiarity with large genomic databases
- Proficiency in data analysis and presentation using Excel, GraphPad Prism, PowerPoint, etc.
- Working knowledge of IND-enabling toxicology studies is a plus
- An understanding of CRISPR KO technology and concept of synthetic lethality is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills – verbal, written, and presentations
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Experience mentoring junior scientists and research associates
- Strong peer-reviewed publication record
To apply, please e-mail your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org